Sunday, May 10, 2009

Use Your Talents To Bless Others

Matt. 25: 15-16, 20, 22, 24-25, 28

15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.
16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.
• • •
20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.
• • •
22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
• • •
24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:
25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.
• • •
28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

My mom was a great example of the above scripture. Her greatest talent is sewing. I don’t know anyone who does as good a job as she does. She enjoyes it, and has a knack for knowing what to do. She doesn’t just do what is necessary. She goes the extra mile and makes sure it’s perfect. Every seam has to be straight, there has to be extra frills, and nothing but the best is good enough.

When my brother, sister and I took dance lessons, they asked her to sew our costumes for the yearly dance reviews. I can’t imagine how she ever found time to sew three costumes for each tap and ballet dance we performed. If we each only had one costume change, that’s six costumes. Usually there were more dances, because sometimes we did solo or duet numbers besides the group performances. I’m sure I have no idea how many hours she spent doing this for us.

My mother taught me that we should develop and use our talents to bless others.

No comments: