Monday, May 18, 2009

My Mom Taught That Commitment Is Important

By example, my mom taught me to follow through on things I commit to do. If she had a church calling, she did her assignment. When she promised someone she would do something, you could count on her. She didn’t go back on her word.

As a young girl, I can remember walking for more than a mile so my mother could teach primary. That was before the block program the church now follows. Primary was immediately after school, so on that day she would be waiting for us children by the entrance to the school and we would begin our long walk. It didn’t matter if it was snowing or extremely cold, we still had to go because someone was counting on her to be there to teach a class.

When I was primary president several years ago, I often wished that some of the teachers could have been as devoted as my mom. Many times, teachers failed to show up to teach their class leaving the children with no teacher.

Knowing someone is committed to keeping his or her word is an important quality. It doesn’t matter what you say you will do, even something as simple as taking a cake to the church for a funeral is important. What would happen if everyone forgot to take the food they promised? What would the people eat? I know my mom always did the things she promised.

2 comments:

Rachelle Christensen said...

I agree with this 100%. If you say you're going to do it, then do it! Life would be much easier if everyone was like you and your mom. :)
I wanted to tell you about an awesome contest I entered at
The Original Scrapbox Check it out and please vote for me, #319 for the cutest craft giveaway. Thanks a bunch!

Nichole Giles said...

You're right, following through with things like this is important. That's a very valuable lesson. Your mother taught you well.

Nichole