Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Mom Is A Prankster

My mom loves to play jokes or pranks on others. She still has a collection of dishes that brought numerous chuckles from others throughout the years. The one my husband hates is the leaking glass. During our high school years, he once drank from it while attending a party at our home.

Besides the glass, she has a fork that bends, a spoon that has a clear seal over the top so no one can pick up anything with it, and another spoon with a bug on it.

While my father was alive, as soon as dinner was finished, every new guest at their home had to go through an initiation process. My mother would ask the new guests to go into the living room with her, while the others stayed in the family room. Meanwhile, my father would pull on a long red robe, take a shoe and sock off from one of his feet, then sit in a chair at one end of the room. He would put a crown on his head, cross his leg and place a ring on a toe of his bare foot.

When he was ready, my mother would blindfold one guest and take them into the family room. She would have that person kneel in front of my father and he would tell them they had to kiss his ring. My father let them kiss a ring on his finger and then hid the hand behind his back. My mother would take the blindfold off the guest and all they would see was the ring on his toe. The entire room would burst into laughter at the look of surprise on that person’s face. They would repeat this process until my mom had brought all the new people into the room.

Up until a year ago, my mom continued to have her famous parties. Everyone loved to come to the potluck dinners, where they could visit and play games. I know many people in our area have lots of fond memories because of these evenings in her home. I'm sure I got my love of parties from my mom.

2 comments:

Rachelle Christensen said...

I love this because my mom is a prankster too. It's so fun to laugh together over funny jokes. I posted a review about the Scrapbox on my blog, if you’d like to see a pic, come visit!

Cindy Beck, author said...

We know how social you are, so that has to be where you get it from. :)

Nice comments about your mom. Thanks for sharing.