Saturday, May 9, 2009

My Mom Taught Patience


Many years have passed and I still remember a special costume, A Christmas Tree, made by my mother when I was in the third grade. She showed patience as she sewed the crepe paper branches to the green dress, and attached wires so they would poke out the way a tree does. I also had to learn patience waiting for the costume to be completed. Every day I’d run home from school to see it the outfit was ready. I was sure she’d never finish it on time.

Her stitches were perfect. Nothing could be wrong even if it was only a child’s outfit for a play, and I would only wear it once. She took as much care in making it as if she was making a piece of clothing that I would wear to school. We saved the outfit for many years. I’m not sure where it went, but I’ll always remember the beautiful Christmas tree and the way I felt when I wore it. My mother taught me that I was important, and helped others see my value.

No comments: