Saturday, May 16, 2009

My Mom Taught Me To Cook

My mother loves to cook and has always prepared delicious meals. As a young girl, I frequently helped bake cookies after school. She knew I loved doing this so she’d wait for my help. My favorite cookie was the soft chocolate chips that almost taste like cake. I’m including the recipe.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
2/3 c shortening
1 c nuts
1 2/3 c sugar
2 ½ c chocolate chips
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
4 c flour
¾ tsp soda
4 tsp baking powder
2 c milk
Mix shortening, sugar eggs until creamed. Add vanilla, flour, baking powder, soda and mix again. Add chocolate chips, nuts and milk. Mix well. Bake on cookie sheet at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes.

In the evening I was encourage to help prepare dinner. By the time I was in my early teens, I could prepare an entire meal by myself. That was a good thing because by then she was working and didn’t get home very early.

Some evenings, my mom would suggest that I have my friends over so that we could make candy. She regularly told me about the honey candy and taffy pulls they had at her home while she was growing up.

I’ve always been glad I could cook a good meal. I love experimenting and trying new things. Being in the kitchen and preparing a good meal is very satisfying.

1 comment:

Nichole Giles said...

Isn't it great to know the cooking secrets of our parents? Those cookies sound yummy. I'll have to try them.

Nichole