Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Mom Taught Me To Iron

My youngest sister described it well when she said that she couldn’t see any point in hanging clothes up to dry outside just to gather them off the clothesline, take them into the house, and then put them on the table and sprinkle them with water. She asked, “What was the point of doing that?”

I have to agree, it did seem pointless. I am however, grateful that my mom did teach me how to iron without putting more wrinkles into the clothes than were there. Eventually I learned every little detail of ironing. I could even do the difficult part, pleats. There have been times in my life when I was glad I knew how to do this, and do it well.

Now, this is a skill that I try to avoid. Mostly because I hate doing it, so I spend time looking for wrinkle free clothing. To me it doesn’t matter if I have to spend more money getting them that way because as far as I’m concerned it saves me time. Everyone who knows me well knows that my time is important to me.

I guess there once was a time before wash and dry clothing, and a time period when it was necessary to know how to iron if you wanted to look nice. I’m glad my mom taught me how to do a good job of ironing.

No comments: