Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cleansing of America



W. Cleon Skousen (1913-2006) was a popular teacher, lecturer, and author in the United States for over 40 years. He spent the majority of his life researching the gospel of Jesus Christ, the U.S. Constitution, the founding of America and writing several books and articles on the topics. He wrote this book in 1994 and it is now being published for the first time. It deals with what has caused our country to come to a state of moral degradation. Skousen discusses what both modern and ancient prophecy tells us will happen in the last days.

I’m fortunate to be one of those chosen to review and blog about this book prior to its release on April 1st. Books are available for pre-order with a 10% discount, on the Valor website, http://www.valorpublishinggroup.com/Books/cleansing-of-america.php. People who pre-order will receive their copies at least a week before the book hits stores.

Included in the book are the events and stages the Lord has predicted, through his servants, and the winding-up scenes of this world. It helps the reader understand: the nature of prophecy, the known chronology of prophetic events, and the importance of staying close to the Lord and his prophets during the difficult and challenging years prior to the Second Coming. We are fast approaching those prophetic events. Some are upon us even now. Skousen points out that if we are prepared and obedient, we need not fear these events, but should embrace them for the blessings they will bring.

We all hope that we might someday qualify as a steward in a Zion society, but the probability is that not more than one out of ten of us will make it unless we undertake additional preparations. This is a powerful book, and one that I want to encourage all my family and friends to read. It has certainly changed my life and the way I think, and act.

One of my favorite parts was in the seventh chapter, “Developing Godly Qualities For A Zion Society.” One of my favorite founding fathers was John Adams who was familiar with the bible and knew what it would take to set up a country under God’s laws. He said:

“Suppose a nation in some distant region, should take the BIBLE for their ONLY law book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited.

“Every member would be obliged in conscience to temperance and frugality and industry, to justice and kindness and charity towards his fellow men, and to piety and love, and reverence towards almighty God.

“In this commonwealth, no man would impair his health by gluttony, drunkenness, or lust—no man would sacrifice his most precious time to cards, [TV?] or any other trifling and mean amusement—no man would steal or lie or [in] any way defraud his neighbor, but would live in peace and good will with all men—no man would blaspheme his Maker or profane his worship, but a rational and manly, a sincerely and unaffected piety and devotion, would reign in all hearts.

“What a paradise this would be.”

I agree with John Adams, and I honestly can’t even imagine what it would be like to live where this is possible. I wish I could trust people to not lie or steal from me. I would love to live in total peace.

This book has made me stop and think about the way I’m conducting my life. I know that I’m not good enough to live the law of consecration, but if I work hard, I think I can be ready. Included in the book is a long list of commandments that we all need to follow. If we follow the counsel given to us by our prophet, and other general authorities, as well as our local priesthood leaders, we will be guided in knowing how best to prepare for the days ahead.

When I find an author I trust who has written about the things I hold dear, such as the LDS gospel, the founding of America and the U.S. Constitution, I can hardly wait to read what they have to say. I loved this book from the first page until the very end. I wanted more and I’m glad that Valor Publishing has agreed to publish more of his books.

This book provided all the references, as well as discussion questions, at the end of each chapter. I’ll be glad to have my copy of this book nearby as a constant reminder of what I need to do to be ready. All that I can say is – this book is for everyone. You need to read it now, not next month or next year, but NOW!

7 comments:

Cindy Beck, author said...

Nice review! It sounds like a terrific book.

Rachelle Christensen said...

Great review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :)

Cathy said...

Sounds like a great book. Thanks for the review.

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

Thanks for this, Connie. I've been very curious about this book, and you've answered some of my questions. Great job!

Nichole Giles said...

Great review. I might need to get a few copies of this one.

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Excellent insights, Connie. I really enjoyed your review.

Janice said...

I'd wondered what this book was about. Thanks for filling me in!