Friday, March 12, 2010

Am I Not a Man and a Brother?




Am I Not a Man? The Dred Scott Story
By Mark L. Shurtleff

I won this book last fall in a writing contest, Call For Freedom. The author is amazing and I enjoyed the book he wrote about a man who would not rest until he found justice and freedom in the courts. Although I’ve read many books about slaves, I had never studied about this man before. I strongly believe in his crusade for equal justice for all.

Mark made the characters come alive. I could almost see them as they walked in the cotton fields and rode riverboats on the Mississippi. Tears actually slid down my face as I read the account about the cold steel of the shackles closing around his wrists and ankles.

If I had to choose a section of the book that I liked best, it is Part XI – Once Free, Always Free. It covers the period from 1840 to 1850. The song – Am I Not a Man and Brother? - touched my heart and once again I shed some tears. Many people came forth and helped this man gain his freedom.

It’s sad that Dred didn’t live long enough to know that his courage led to the election of President Abraham Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation. This true story is one of courage, love, and friendship that eventually lead to freedom and equality for all men. If you love history as much as I do, you’ll enjoy this book.

No comments: