Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Joyful Noise



Last night I attended a premiere showing to a movie that will be in the theaters on Friday, January 13, Joyful Noise. I loved this movie so much I could probably see it over and over. I’ve never written a movie review before. The reviews I write are usually about books.

Following are the details that I found on line about this movie. It takes place in a small town in Georgia. The people there have fallen on hard times. They are counting on the Divinity Church Choir to lift their spirits by winning the National Joyful Noise Competition.

The choir has always known how to sing in harmony, but the discord between its two leading ladies threatens to tear them apart. Their newly appointed director, Vi Rose Hill (Queen Latifah), stubbornly wants to stick with their tried-and-true traditional style, while the fiery G.G. Sparrow (Dolly Parton) thinks tried-and-true translates to tired-and-old and her rebellious grandson, Randy (Jeremy Jordan) really shakes things up. He has a good ear for music, but he also has an eye for Vi Rose’s beautiful and talented daughter, Olivia (Keke Palmer). Sparks between the two teenagers cause even more friction between G.G. and Vi Rose.

The musically driven story also brings together the sounds of gospel, pop, country, rock and R & B with memorable songs, performed by the cast. If you love listening to music, you will love this movie. If not, I suggest you stay home.

I loved the movie and was glad that I had attended a prior showing. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't like this movie - unless you don't like music, you don't like Dolly Parton, Queen Latifah, Keke Palmer, or Jeremy Jordan. Or maybe if you don't like watching a movie because you would rather stay home and watch television. There is plenty of action, lots of humor, and it is a fun movie.

3 comments:

Jessica L. Celaya said...

Good review. It sounds like a great movie. I think we can learn a great deal about plots and characters from movies.
Is writing a review for a book a lot different than a review for a movie?

C. LaRene Hall said...

Writing a review is just your opinion whether it's about a movie or about a book. I read more than I go to movies so I usually do book reviews.

Cathy said...

Sounds like a fun one. I love movies with lots of music in them. Thanks for the review.