Monday, February 23, 2009

Churches in England - Part 2

On July 20, 2006 (wow, that’s almost three years ago), after my sister and I received directions on how to reach the small villages of many of our ancestors, we spent the morning traveling from one village church to the next one.


None of them looked the same. The first one we stopped at was the St. Faith Church at Horseham.

The next stop was at All Saints church in Horstead.

Next, we drove to the small village of Coltishall to see the thatched village church of St. John.


We then stopped at The Church of St.Mary, The Virgin at Wroxham. As usual, the stained glass windows were beautiful. The church is mostly of the 15th century, in Perpendicular style. There is a western tower, nave, south porch, north and south aisles, chancel and north vestry.





When we stopped to look at the church at Salhouse, we only wandered around the outside, because there was a funeral.
I always wanted to see the tiny village of Little Plumstead where my great-grandmother Jex was from, but I was disappointed that we could find no old church. In Woodbastwich we saw many houses with thatch roofs, and The Parish Church of St Fabian L& St Sebastian.
We then went to the Wymondham Abbey and cemetery. They built the West Tower in 1447 and the Central Tower in 1409. The church has ten bells. We didn’t go inside the church, because they were having church services, but I took a few pictures from the doorway.















The day isn't over, but this is getting long so I'll do the rest another day.








Picture

1 comment:

Nichole Giles said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have go to go there! Love all your beautiful pictures.

Thanks for sharing.

Nichole